Of the thirteen songs here, eight (three instrumentals) were written by Geoff. They range from the bluesy swagger of the title song to a journey through the night of the heart (Muscle for the Wing) to the humorous (The Cat Song). Other titles include a previously unrecorded Tom Paxton song (The Losing Part), a calypso number with social commentary (Money is King) written by The Growling Tiger of Trinidad, another gem by Boston songwriter Ed (I Fall Up) White (Nobody Cares), and a Skip James blues (Look Down the Road).
Lyrics for songs marked with *asterisks* can be found
at Selected Song Lyrics
- *Put the Big Stone Down (G. Bartley)*
- *Blue Moon on New Years Eve (G. Bartley)*
- *Occam's Razor (G. Bartley, instru.)*
- *Muscle for the Wing (G. Bartley)*
- *Song to a Hawk (G. Bartley, instru.)*
- *Good-Bye Father (G. Bartley)*
- The Losing Part (Tom Paxton)
- *The Cat Song (G. Bartley)*
- * Trickle-Down Theory (G. Bartley, instru.)*
- Money is King (The Growling Tiger aka Neville Marcano)
- * Nobody Cares (Ed White)*
- Look Down the Road (Skip James)
- Look Down outro(G. Bartley, instru.)
Geoff; acoustic & resonator guitars played fingerstyle, w/ flatpick & w/ slide, electric guitars, electric guitar w/ E-bow, electric bass guitar, harmonica, drum machine (not programmed), and vocals
Howie Tarnower; mandolin
(on Put the Big Stone Down)
Miss Tess; vocal harmony
(on Blue Moon on New Years Eve)
Paul Lenart; electric guitar, electric bass guitar, percussion (on Song to a Hawk)
Jeff Stout; trumpet (on Song to a Hawk)
Hiro Arita; Django Reinhardt-style guitar (on Money is King).
Recorded & mixed at Grant-Me-A-Reprieve Studio, Framingham, MA except Song to a
Hawk recorded & mixed by Paul Lenart at the Swordfish Club, Arlington, MA.
Mastered by Brad Meyer at
Point One Audio, Inc., Lincoln, MA.